Forums
Register

A.00.00.00 Update on Staging/Testing and Push

News and Announcements from the Staff.
HE-Sarrene

TR Staff

A.00.00.00 Update on Staging/Testing and Push

Post#1 » 12 Mar, 2018 3:56 am

We're pleased to say that once again it's time for an update. We'd like to start with a big Thank you for your continued patience. Your participation in our Discord channel, Steam Forum, Official Forums, and by sending in bug reports has been a tremendous help. The continuous flow of information regarding both positive aspects and challenges you face help us to better understand how to move forward.

Your feedback has helped in many ways to include the following:
  • Bug reports on things such as recipes. These help us not only to find fixes for upcoming updates in the short term but also in our design and optimization for our revamp of the system. Thanks to your crafting feedback - we've been able to move forward with the initial stages of the system revamp.
  • Feedback on interactions with the harvesting system and the environment. This allows us to determine a proper balance not only for the system revamp, but the placement of both harvestable and PvE content in the upcoming terrain revamp.
  • Feedback on the current and past tutorials. This has been a great help in preparation for the new Starter Island build.
A.00.00.00 Build update:

The next patch is something we know everyone is anxious to begin testing, and we want nothing more than for you to do so. However, we have had some issues with the current build and attempting to use a more up to date Push method on it. Though initial tests worked perfectly, using it on the live environment revealed some additional challenges.

Though we have done a lot of cleanup already, the biggest challenge yet is the amount of data that is currently in the game. We are starting the process of permanently deleting almost 1100 old and unused areas that are still present in the game.

The second biggest challenge is the number of updates still needed to use the HeroEngine Push system as intended. This will be done in stages based on the type of old revision and old file data.

Our aim is to get The Repopulation to use the HeroEngine Push system fully. This will not effect the game directly yet, but it will allow us to work on the back-end of the game to improve performance, reduce the game's HDD footprint, and allow for more efficient communication between the game's client and the server. This will in turn begin to reduce the latency that a lot of players experience at present.

Current Development

While we work through these challenges we'll continue the optimization of art, architecture, and other updates.

We have already started on the Player and NPC node system.
While we are preparing A.00.00.00 to go to test and live, the A.00.00.10 patch will contain a cleaner version of character selection, creation and deletion. There were a number of issues with deleting characters. In the past it was possible to select a blank character without realizing it; so when deleting the character it would delete the previously selected one instead and get very confused, updating the list incorrectly and cause even more issues on top. You will now be able to delete your last character if you so wish. Also, exiting character creation will no longer leave/create a blank character slot.. All of this was tidied up so it is going to need some heavy testing to make sure that character deletion issues has been resolved.

Please note that there may still be some character issues which are being looked at and worked on. This is related to characters nodes becoming corrupted and unplayable. If you do have the “??” character issue, the game should not allow you to log in, instead of logging you into a different character. This will be heavily tested over the next several weeks. This issue should be fixed over the next several updates as we change how both Account and Player nodes are handled in the game.

In the meantime we will continue to keep you updated. Please keep the comments, suggestions and other feedback coming!

:)

Lich Alfred

Early Access

Re: A.00.00.00 Update on Staging/Testing and Push

Post#2 » 17 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm

Nice! When it will be live roughly?

Inquisitioner

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#3 » 19 Mar, 2018 2:51 pm

Great to see progress !

wimwimwill

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#4 » 23 Mar, 2018 10:00 am

I just wanted to ask, when is the next wipe/restart of the game? I want to get playing again. If there is a wipe coming up I might wait a bit longer.
Will A.00.00.00 Be a fresh start?
[url=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/Miyuki-Ahazi/sig_wimwimwill_zpsd382b0d5.jpg[/img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/Miyuki-Ahazi/sig_wimwimwill_zpsd382b0d5.jpg[/img[/url]

TR-Snafu

TR GM

Post#5 » 23 Mar, 2018 11:24 am

wimwimwill wrote:
23 Mar, 2018 10:00 am
I just wanted to ask, when is the next wipe/restart of the game? I want to get playing again. If there is a wipe coming up I might wait a bit longer.
Will A.00.00.00 Be a fresh start?
No restart on A00.00.00 there may be partial wipes along the way as systems are redone but the plan as of now is to not have any more full wipes during testing.

Zamboughnuts

Early Access

Post#6 » 23 Mar, 2018 2:45 pm

As I understand it, A.00.00.00 won't be the new map, is that correct?
Zambo

I'm trying to hack it as a tailor/armor crafter/weapon crafter. My shop is at Plymouth Pond.

TR-Raynie

TR Staff

Post#7 » 23 Mar, 2018 3:15 pm

Zamboughnuts wrote:
23 Mar, 2018 2:45 pm
As I understand it, A.00.00.00 won't be the new map, is that correct?
That is correct, no new map for this next patch.

Societal

Early Access

Post#8 » 26 Mar, 2018 7:17 am

How close is the new Training Facility island to being ready?

HE-Sarrene

TR Staff

Post#9 » 26 Mar, 2018 7:49 am

Good morning Societal,
We have finished the Prototype, so that is great news! Once we get this push through we will be working on it on Dev. At this time, I have the content team working through a few of the NPC's and adjustments for the future.

Please remember, the first push of the new starter area will not include any real content changes or additions. This will primarily be a new a whole new area with the new layout and some added or adjusted assets. Additional systems are and will be worked on and introduced to the Starter area upon each update afterwards.

During this data (Script and art assets) cleanup to reduce the size of the game front and back-end, we have gotten a lot of great feedback. (I especially love the video on YouTube someone did! Thank you whom ever you are!) We have worked on a few things to help a little with this update, as well as future planning.

Once this update is out and we move from Prototype to Dev serve for the new starter area, I will be releasing a bit more information as to what will be upcoming with this and the next updates.

I do have a small sneak peek for all of you. Not great, but something you will see with the next phase of testing and coming live (Not the starter area- but a bit of clean up:
eee793cf82b1a75a414da609e5a04312.jpg
43906788e4ba5a0dec5e47f980310b4a.jpg

bizq

Early Access

Post#10 » 27 Mar, 2018 1:43 pm

How impactful are those decreases on latency that the HeroEngine Push will give? Also, Is having an SSD over a HDD going to help?

Karuson

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#11 » 12 Apr, 2018 6:17 pm

an ssd allows for objects to load faster then a hard drive. the game pulls the info off the drive and loads it into the ram,or game. Now the have newer one running the same price as an ssd, that or 20 times faster. example. HD is about 75 megabytes in speed. and ssd is 250-500 megabytes, an pcie ssd or m.2 can load 5,000 megabytes in data. i always said. whats the point of a 4gb(4,000 megabytes) CPU when it cant even pull that speed on the hard drive.
Once your needs are met, everything is vanity

kharton

Backer Rnd1

Post#12 » 12 Apr, 2018 7:55 pm

when are we going to see this patch ?

Its been over a month now since you posted this, the game is almost dead with virtually no activity, new players come for a day or two and leave, its very hard to keep motivated with the current state of the game. I understand you got a lot of crap to sort through, but can't you just gives us something, anything.

TR-Karak

Post#13 » 16 Apr, 2018 2:09 am

Hey there... I just want to apologize for the lack of news! I'll be completely honest... that was kind of on me there. Things got busy irl and well yeah. I kind of fell behind on stuff. That said, I do want to give you a heads up that things are indeed in progress and that quite a bit has been done thus far.

The patch is not completed quite yet... but quite a bit of progress has been made and things are indeed chugging along.

You can read more about it over here! https://therepopulation.com/forums/repo ... 80#p126380

The bulk of the update was done yesterday, and I had some final fine tuning to do but sadly was stuck at the day job so I couldn't get it out as quickly as I'd hoped.

Thankfully Sarrene was able to get it out though. That said, going forward I hope to be much more on top of this.

Once again sorry about that, but at least I do hope you find this info useful!

RogueOne

Post#14 » 07 May, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi there,
Can some1 tell me pls if there will be another chars wipe out ?... I understand the reasons for wipe out... but I really need to know if can seriously start to lvl up some skills ( again ) or not. :crazy: thx in advance. :)
Keep up the good work. This game got a lot of potential since was launched 1st time... played Fragmented in the mean time too :P
Suggestion: From what I know many ppl. run away once they discover the crafting system... to be honest I dont like it too... something less complicated and more..friendly (something closer to the Fragmented system f.e.).
Also I think an offline version will be cool for ppl. who cannot play online all the time - I am a seaman officer ( 4-5 months from 7-8 months I got bad & expensive net via satellite at sea)
Last edited by RogueOne on 08 May, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderV

Post#15 » 07 May, 2018 10:34 pm

RogueOne wrote:
07 May, 2018 5:23 pm
Hi there,
Can some1 tell me pls if there will be another chars wipe out ?... I understand the reasons for wipe out... but I really need to know if can seriously start to lvl up some skills ( again ) or not. :crazy: thx in advance. :)
Keep up the good work. This game got a lot of potential since was launched 1st time... played Fragmented in the mean time too :P
Suggestion: From what I know many ppl. run away once they discover the crafting system... to be honest I dont like it too... something less complicated and more..friendly (something closer to the Fragmented system f.e.).
Also I think an offline version will be cool for ppl. who cannot play online all the time - I am a seaman officer ( 4-5 months from 7-8 months I got bad & expensive net via satellite at sea)
1. The devs have not ruled out wipes completely but have stated they will try to stick to partial wipes as systems are remade.

2. The crafting system will be revamped at some point.

3. This game is an MMORPG. By definition, there will not be an offline mode.

RogueOne

Post#16 » 08 May, 2018 10:41 am

CommanderV wrote:
07 May, 2018 10:34 pm

1. The devs have not ruled out wipes completely but have stated they will try to stick to partial wipes as systems are remade.

2. The crafting system will be revamped at some point.

3. This game is an MMORPG. By definition, there will not be an offline mode.

got that. ty for the quick answser. all the best.

SmellCaster

Backer Rnd3

Post#17 » 08 May, 2018 12:43 pm

RogueOne wrote:
07 May, 2018 5:23 pm
I am a seaman officer
Hi,
Since you are a seaman officer and until TheRepopulation is ready, I would highly recommend you to look at the game Subnautica.
Exploration, crafting, construction, survival... Can be played offline.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/subnau ... 0-6416847/

RogueOne

Post#18 » 08 May, 2018 4:38 pm

SmellCaster wrote:
08 May, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi,
Since you are a seaman officer and until TheRepopulation is ready, I would highly recommend you to look at the game Subnautica.
Exploration, crafting, construction, survival... Can be played offline.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/subnau ... 0-6416847/
Hi,
Sounds good. I am gonna give it a try and play... with my deepest fears :-O Sounds unforgiving :/ . Thx a lot for your recommendation.