Register

Update 02/24/2017

News and Announcements from the Staff.
TR-Raynie

TR Staff

Update 02/24/2017

Post#1 » 24 Feb, 2017 9:23 pm

Good day everyone!

I wanted to take a moment to give an update on the things going on behind the scenes recently.

Graphical optimization has been a focal point so far. A lot of effort is going into converting the graphic textures into more efficient formats as well as overhauling and creating specular maps for all textures. This is all being started in the Training Facilities and in the Character Selection screen and will be branching out to the starting cities of Plymouth and Freedomtown.

The Next phase will be SpeedTree optimizations such as grouping, atlasing and LODs, as well as asset texture optimizations. The UI elements are also in the process of being formatted and enhanced.

Hobble and Krun are undertaking the zoning related issues. They expect it to take some time though, as it has ramifications in other areas as well.

Additionally the team is looking heavily into keybindings and control elements for playability in and out of combat.

Other team members, myself included, have been working on getting the new website up and running with articles, information, links and forums. Once the domain transfer is completed we'll be able to migrate the forums over and make that site public.

Internal testing will begin soon. Once chosen, testers will be notified via forum private message. Keep an eye on that inbox!

Brains

Backer Rnd1

Re: Update 02/24/2017

Post#2 » 24 Feb, 2017 9:53 pm

Will you be posting thread in which testers can volunteer, or will there be another means of communicating ones desire to participate?
"Treat life like a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away."

TR-Riley

Post#3 » 24 Feb, 2017 9:57 pm

Brains wrote:Will you be posting thread in which testers can volunteer, or will there be another means of communicating ones desire to participate?
Hey Brains,

We already made a thread for that. At this time we are no longer taking any more names for the new Internal Testing phase. However, if we open up the hat again, Raynie or myself will make a post to announce it.

Riley

HolyAvengerOne

Backer Rnd3

Post#4 » 25 Feb, 2017 2:53 am

Sweet update, thanks a lot Raynie! :)
| “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” -A.E.

mark.killman

Early Access

Post#5 » 25 Feb, 2017 2:58 am

Raynie_Daze wrote:Good day everyone!
Graphical optimization has been a focal point so far. A lot of effort is going into converting the graphic textures into more efficient formats as well as overhauling and creating specular maps for all textures.
PBR?
Dx11?
Just curious

Combat Wombat

Backer Rnd2

Post#6 » 25 Feb, 2017 3:31 am

They said DX11 was in the pipe after sometime between the alpha coming back online and the game launching.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

HolyAvengerOne

Backer Rnd3

Post#7 » 25 Feb, 2017 5:33 am

Combat Wombat wrote:They said DX11 was in the pipe after sometime between the alpha coming back online and the game launching.
Not sure where you saw that information, specifically? Given the vast amount of work left between now (alpha relaunch) and release, plus the fact that HE isn't yet dx11, I kinda doubt they'll have time to do all that on top of converting everything to dx11.

I could definitely be wrong there though. Maybe if MCINDUS could comment on that :)
| “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” -A.E.

NOTHAN

Early Access

Post#8 » 25 Feb, 2017 6:16 am

thank for this news...

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#9 » 25 Feb, 2017 7:35 am

HolyAvengerOne wrote:
Combat Wombat wrote:They said DX11 was in the pipe after sometime between the alpha coming back online and the game launching.
Not sure where you saw that information, specifically? Given the vast amount of work left between now (alpha relaunch) and release, plus the fact that HE isn't yet dx11, I kinda doubt they'll have time to do all that on top of converting everything to dx11.
Wait let me see...
HolyAvengerOne wrote:The good news is, in the meantime, the engine has continued to evolve and now they're working towards upgrading it to dx11 and all it will be able to do in terms of performance and graphics quality increase.
https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/ ... 11#p122352

JK. The real source would be this I guess:
TR-Hobble wrote:I did see questions about DX11, and one benefit of working within the same studio as the Engine developers is the communication between engine and game. Sarrene only got involved with IF in 2015, she became COO late in the year and her primary focus was to clean up and prepare for the DX11 Update for the engine itself, when it does hit the engine we wont immediately have it within The Repopulation, but we will be moving towards it, the reason is that there will be a few changes we have to make within The Repopulation source that has been through years of development.
[...]
Then (what I like to call 'New Development Beta'), when we are happy with that, we want to move on to implementing the said fixes and changes with the current systems, this would also be where we start implementing DX11 if it's available, (DX11 will be implemented in stages over time, as it is not a switch you can just flick), along with fixing any of the major game breaking bugs.
https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/ ... 11#p121002

So, no, it's not a clear statement, but then again, this is a clear as any statement we get these days.

According to their website: http://heroengine.com/heroengine/he-roadmap
DX11 sits at 95% done overall.

HolyAvengerOne

Backer Rnd3

Post#10 » 25 Feb, 2017 7:46 am

Yes, I know, and my statement was exactly in line with all that :)

Edit : ok, I just re-read Combat Wombat's post and I had misunderstood. I thought he was saying that it had been said that dx11 would be completed between alpha and release, instead of what he said, which is that it would start being worked on within that timeframe. Now your reply makes more sense, Hoob, heh! My apologies! :lol:

windslow

Early Access

Post#11 » 25 Feb, 2017 9:44 am

I'd like to know if the UI scaling on 4K resolution will be addressed. I understand it wouldn't be a priority as 4K hasn't really taken off like I expected but it could also have just been a problem with windows scaling that's already been addressed.

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#12 » 25 Feb, 2017 9:47 am

There have been many, many repeated questions about DX11.

But you are right - they have not given any definitive answer to that. Repop might as well get released with DX9, for all we know so far.

For me personally not the most important topic anyway. I'm still waiting for the day when they first start talking about anything gameplay related...

mark.killman

Early Access

Post#13 » 25 Feb, 2017 10:05 am

hooby wrote: For me personally not the most important topic anyway. I'm still waiting for the day when they first start talking about anything gameplay related...
I will agree that gameplay does need some tweaking. But I do think that DX11 needs to be worked on ASAP. When correctly used DX11 is much more efficient then DX9. This will help "in theory" with things like crossing zone barriers "more efficient textures take up less memory" and the FPS bombs associated with large complex cities "robot city".
DX11 also handles lightning in a different way which should help resolve some of the issues when underground.

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#14 » 25 Feb, 2017 10:31 am

If Repop releases in 2018... if it has DX12 it will appear top of the line, bleeding edge - if it has DX11 it will appear just normal/average, with DX9 it will appear outdated. So, since IF wants to have a showcase that rekindles some interest in their engine - of course they absolutely must get in DX11 as fast as possible. You are totally right about that.

But for me personally, subjectively, DX11 is just not that interesting of a topic to talk about. It was a very interesting topic in 2008, when it was announced. And of course in 2009, when it was released. But today... *yawn*

Alec White

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#15 » 25 Feb, 2017 10:50 am

Raynie_Daze wrote:Good day everyone!

I wanted to take a moment to give an update on the things going on behind the scenes recently.

Graphical optimization has been a focal point so far. A lot of effort is going into converting the graphic textures into more efficient formats as well as overhauling and creating specular maps for all textures. This is all being started in the Training Facilities and in the Character Selection screen and will be branching out to the starting cities of Plymouth and Freedomtown.

The Next phase will be SpeedTree optimizations such as grouping, atlasing and LODs, as well as asset texture optimizations. The UI elements are also in the process of being formatted and enhanced.

Hobble and Krun are undertaking the zoning related issues. They expect it to take some time though, as it has ramifications in other areas as well.

Additionally the team is looking heavily into keybindings and control elements for playability in and out of combat.

Other team members, myself included, have been working on getting the new website up and running with articles, information, links and forums. Once the domain transfer is completed we'll be able to migrate the forums over and make that site public.

Internal testing will begin soon. Once chosen, testers will be notified via forum private message. Keep an eye on that inbox!
So they said they are doing what they said they will be doing, I mean the only new thing is the keybind and control elements part.

Kinda a redundant "update", guess there isn't much to talk about besides a "we are still working".

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#16 » 25 Feb, 2017 10:59 am

They probably got a "there mus be at least one update per week" policy now. ;)

HolyAvengerOne

Backer Rnd3

Post#17 » 25 Feb, 2017 11:07 am

Alec White wrote: So they said they are doing what they said they will be doing, I mean the only new thing is the keybind and control elements part.

Kinda a redundant "update", guess there isn't much to talk about besides a "we are still working".
Are you complaining about this update?! I'd much rather have regular updates, even just to say that they are still working on what they were working the week before, instead of no word for several weeks. And actually that's exactly what several of us have asked of them.

And we don't want them to make stuff up just to fill up an update with new stuff, eh? ;) They're progressing incrementally but surely (until proven otherwise), that's what they're communicating and that's fine by me.

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#18 » 25 Feb, 2017 11:32 am

Don't be so aggro against critical voices HOA. That's not like you at all. At least not like I remember you from your days as Fragmented's community manager ;)

It's better than silence for sure. Agreed on that.

It would be even better if it went like: "we are still working on the points mentioned last week - made some progress on X,Y,Z - and on top of that started looking at keybindings" - or similar. Maybe even mention/acknowledge, that there isn't anything completely new to talk about. Same news, less self-adulation. Will rub less people the wrong way. ;)

It's all in the wording.

Alec White

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#19 » 25 Feb, 2017 2:06 pm

Ignoring Holy's fanboyism bout ;) , wasn't the DX11 update first needed for the HE? and how is that going?

I mean without first having HE updated for DX11 I can't see how TR will have it. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding something about game engines and all that arcane wizardry.

Edit:

Forgot there was a HE roadmap http://www.heroengine.com/heroengine/he-roadmap

Ensab

TR GM

Post#20 » 25 Feb, 2017 3:04 pm

Hey, thanks for the update. This is exactly what the 'majority' of the community have been screaming for. I guess you can't please all the people all the time, just most of the people most of the time......

I know there must be quite a bit of optimizations happening within the asset allocation and coding itself. A very daunting task to be sure. I, for one, am glad and appreciative that TR now has a closer link to HE and can push the mechanics more in-line with what the engine is capable of. It'll be interesting to see how the post alpha work fleshes out with more graphical passes improving the overall look of the game.

For now I (and I'm sure quite a few others) are interested in seeing this working prior to seeing it pretty.

Thank you for all you do.
I have been what does not exist, save for imagination. I am folklore. Mythos. Legend. A figment, a fragment, a fleeting dream called nightmare. All one and the same, if known by different labels ... but the truth is harsher yet, and far more frightening.

HolyAvengerOne

Backer Rnd3

Post#21 » 25 Feb, 2017 6:23 pm

hooby wrote:Don't be so aggro against critical voices HOA. That's not like you at all. At least not like I remember you from your days as Fragmented's community manager ;)

It's better than silence for sure. Agreed on that.

It would be even better if it went like: "we are still working on the points mentioned last week - made some progress on X,Y,Z - and on top of that started looking at keybindings" - or similar. Maybe even mention/acknowledge, that there isn't anything completely new to talk about. Same news, less self-adulation. Will rub less people the wrong way. ;)

It's all in the wording.
It may have come harsher than I intended, my apologies! I just don't think Alec's criticism on that point was very well founded. That being said, I agree that they could use a PR person ;) Developers are notoriously not that great at PR, historically :P

Combat Wombat

Backer Rnd2

Post#22 » 25 Feb, 2017 6:38 pm

hooby wrote:If Repop releases in 2018... if it has DX12 it will appear top of the line, bleeding edge - if it has DX11 it will appear just normal/average, with DX9 it will appear outdated. So, since IF wants to have a showcase that rekindles some interest in their engine - of course they absolutely must get in DX11 as fast as possible. You are totally right about that.

But for me personally, subjectively, DX11 is just not that interesting of a topic to talk about. It was a very interesting topic in 2008, when it was announced. And of course in 2009, when it was released. But today... *yawn*
DX11 has every graphical goodie that DX12 has just that DX12 does it closer to the hardware. Now having that would be nice but it requires a AAA studio type budget to get there and I think we would all agree we would rather have that money go toward gameplay than trying to eek out another 5 fps.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

hooby

Kickstarter Backer 2012

Post#23 » 25 Feb, 2017 7:20 pm

mark.killman wrote:I do think that DX11 needs to be worked on ASAP. When correctly used DX11 is much more efficient then DX9. This will help "in theory" with things like crossing zone barriers "more efficient textures take up less memory" and the FPS bombs associated with large complex cities "robot city".
DX11 also handles lightning in a different way which should help resolve some of the issues when underground.
Combat Wombat wrote:DX11 has every graphical goodie that DX12 has just that DX12 does it closer to the hardware. Now having that would be nice but it requires a AAA studio type budget to get there and I think we would all agree we would rather have that money go toward gameplay than trying to eek out another 5 fps.
Get ready...

FIGHT! :lol:

Societal

Early Access

Post#24 » 25 Feb, 2017 9:57 pm

Keep in mind that they have to update The Repopulation to the newest version of HE before they worry about transitioning to DX11.

Alec White

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#25 » 25 Feb, 2017 10:24 pm

Societal wrote:Keep in mind that they have to update The Repopulation to the newest version of HE before they worry about transitioning to DX11.
HE first need to be updated to DX11 before transitioning to DX11, regardless of TR being on the latest version of HE or not, if there's no DX11 in HE there's no DX11 for anything else.

So I don't understand all this talk about DX11 now that I think about it.