Forums
Register

GUI Query for players

General Gameplay and Nations
HE-Sarrene

TR Staff

GUI Query for players

Post#1 » 03 Apr, 2018 12:06 pm

I have taken a lot of notes and am currently working on planning out the UI for the game. I would like to ask two questions.

1) Before the UI Revamp, are there any aspects you would like to see fixed or updated?

2) For the UI Revamp, what changes or additions would you like to see?

Please let us know what you think!

Societal

Early Access

Re: GUI Query for players

Post#2 » 03 Apr, 2018 5:19 pm

This is engine, not UI, but I'd really love a way to limit the framerate so it's not trying to hit 144hz even when staring at a blank wall. I'm often over my monitor's 60hz rate around town/crafting and it's pointless maxing out my GPU without any visual benefits. I've tried using the radeon settings Frame Rate Target Control and it does nothing in either fullscreen or borderless windowed mode. I've tried to force VSYNC (fullscreen mode) and it breaks the game engine - character select was a messed up jumble of rocks with my character nowhere to be seen and I couldn't get ingame.

As for UI, please give us a simple XML file or similar format where we can choose the location of the ingame FPS and ping time indicators. Since they are already ingame features I don't want to have to use a third-party overlay to have basic customization. The default is center-top of the screen and it's almost always blocked by a window I have open at the time. Being able to choose any corner, and being able to set our own X,Y location would be a great help in keeping it visible regardless of where we like to have our other GUI elements.

CommanderV

Post#3 » 03 Apr, 2018 6:01 pm

The main thing is to be able to show/hide or move every single UI element.

Be sure any UI customizing is character based, rather than account based. Currently, it is account based.

Can you add target and target of target displays?

Combat Wombat

Backer Rnd2

Post#4 » 03 Apr, 2018 9:56 pm

Mini-map with option to rotate with player instead of being fixed

Ability icons that highlight when usable. So say I have a friendly player targeted and they get stunned and I have an ability to clear that stun that ability would start blinking to make it easy to find. Contextual signals.

The function to chain abilities in a limited fashion. Like I will always start a fight with the same 3 abilities if I could combine them into a single button press that would be great.

A large and visible ability action queue. Right now you can essentially queue 2 abilities I would like that to be higher say 10. I would like that queue to be visible and allow me to remove items from it by clicking on the ability in the queue.

Larger icons for party members. If I am healing I want to be able to easily retarget party members and have highly visible health/stamina bars for them. DDO does a great job with almost all of this.

Buffs go all across the top of the screen, big visible icons for party members on the left, tons of hotbars possible to fill with everything you may want and this all flows very well and lets the game have a very fast paced combat system compared to other "tab-target" MMOs. If Repop got its combat revamped to be more like DDO I could only be happy.

How deep are we getting here? The player vendor menu system may be the most awful thing ever created. You literally couldn't make it worse unless it simply didn't work at all.

Chat window is useless, needs a much more robust room/tab system. Item linking barely functions.

Quests should be split up. Epic quests shouldn't take active quest slots and should be much more visible. The quest item screen is also wildly bugged and hidden it should really be brought into line with the rest of the inventory system.

Game could use an in-game web browser, even if it just supported basic things like text, images, hyperlinks it could do wonders for the community for in-game guides and such.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

TR-Snafu

TR GM

Post#5 » 03 Apr, 2018 11:00 pm

Great input so far
Combat Wombat wrote:
03 Apr, 2018 9:56 pm
This exists already. Right click the nameplate on the minimap and enable rotation
Attachments
rotation.PNG

Combat Wombat

Backer Rnd2

Post#6 » 03 Apr, 2018 11:13 pm

TR-Snafu wrote:
03 Apr, 2018 11:00 pm
Great input so far
Combat Wombat wrote:
03 Apr, 2018 9:56 pm
This exists already. Right click the nameplate on the minimap and enable rotation
LOLOGOD make it stop

You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

horendis

Early Access

Post#7 » 03 Apr, 2018 11:55 pm

I am an old gamer. I know there's a bunch of us out there... and my vision is a little diminished, so I appreciate that we can make chat and mission text larger. Thanks for that. Below are some changes I'd like to see:
The town/zone engagement text (under the mini-map) is very small. I'd like to be able to make that larger.
The town/zone engagement and radio/communication mission responses (top center) are very small also.

Clicking on lockers/cabinets in my house brings up the 2 housing screens. I am always having to close them out when I interact with my storage items.
Also, just my 2 cents, Harvesters should not count against inventory space. I use water, plants, lumber and rocks. Large when there's no hurry, Standard when there's competition for quality, and Rapid to finish off the remaining bits left. (There's no love for those who leave nodes with a few units on them.) The higher your skill, the more space you need. I end up with 16 + inventory spots of just harvesters.
Please make Harvesters not count against inventory space or maybe create a Crafter bag that will give us some relief from constantly mailing items to ourselves just to make space in our packs. Thanks!

Combat Wombat

Backer Rnd2

Post#8 » 08 Apr, 2018 10:13 pm

Chat window logs that are persistent between sessions. So when I crash and load back in I don't lose everything in my chat window.

Splutty

Early Access

Post#9 » 09 Apr, 2018 3:15 pm

Having everything movable would be a great advantage.

Currently when I adjust font sizes, things get stuck behind the minimap, and resizing the minimap only gets more things stuck.

If I'm very lucky I can move the quest list, but I have to minimize the font sizes, then move it to where I hope it'll end up, then resize the minimap to what I want, redo the font sizes again, and then do it all again if I guessed wrong.

*all* fonts should be resizable. Speech, chat, questlog, the lot. Right now, half of the UI isn't influenced by your size settings, and the other half is, making things overlap, text run out of windows, etc, etc.

Lich Alfred

Early Access

Post#10 » 12 Apr, 2018 5:15 pm

I would like to see toggleable aggro radius of mobs and radius of my abilities, the latter can appear as flshing radius or sector when im not in range. Also weapon toggleable constant circles of weapon radiuses would be nice.

As for pets, improved AI setting could be great, like supper-aggresive, if I want to farm corpses, option to auto-activate pet commands for lazy farm.

Also I would like to have an auto-activation qeue for some skills, for example scanning, buffing or maybe smth I want to activate when health is low, or enemy comes too close, etc, and automatic water scrounging)). Same goes for production, I would like to see auto-progress that keeps manufacturing until one of the materials is gone or no space in inventory, I personally hato to spam enter. Can do macro for that, but would be much better if such option is installed.

Global map should be much more informative, I want to see all deposits and search option on them, since they do not move.

Karuson

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#11 » 12 Apr, 2018 6:30 pm

i like the GUI, maybe some color options,and clean up. most of what people are asking is in game they just don't know how to do it. but i would push for a higher base setting on text size, fount, icons. i still find my self playing with them when i log in. some times i feel too big. mostly to small. but that because i play with my video settings. and going though all the windows the inventory feel like it needs a change, cant really say what. just feels messy and clunky.
<Windows Version> 10
<System Memory> Amd 16 gb Radeon 9 cl-10 gamer series
<CPU> Amd FX_8370 8c@4GHz
<GPU> PNY Nvidia GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5 Dx12

Karuson

Kickstarter Backer 2014

Post#12 » 12 Apr, 2018 6:32 pm

Splutty wrote:
09 Apr, 2018 3:15 pm
Having everything movable would be a great advantage.

Currently when I adjust font sizes, things get stuck behind the minimap, and resizing the minimap only gets more things stuck.

If I'm very lucky I can move the quest list, but I have to minimize the font sizes, then move it to where I hope it'll end up, then resize the minimap to what I want, redo the font sizes again, and then do it all again if I guessed wrong.

*all* fonts should be resizable. Speech, chat, questlog, the lot. Right now, half of the UI isn't influenced by your size settings, and the other half is, making things overlap, text run out of windows, etc, etc.
the problem here i think is it also works off your Windows OS settings. changing them also changes what in game. but windows 10 has been working on this to some degree.
<Windows Version> 10
<System Memory> Amd 16 gb Radeon 9 cl-10 gamer series
<CPU> Amd FX_8370 8c@4GHz
<GPU> PNY Nvidia GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5 Dx12

Hungadunga

Backer Rnd2

Post#13 » 15 Apr, 2018 11:40 am

Overall, I am pretty happy with most of the GUI. However, I agree with Horrendis that the housing interface definitely needs some love. It's wayyyyy too easy to click on a furniture item in attempt to move it and accidentally select the building instead. The controls don't need to pop up every time I enter my house, either.

The only thing I find consistently annoying is the ease with which button bars can be accidentally unlocked and re-sized in combat, especially when I'm in full thrash mode. It isn't as easy to mess up as it used to be, but I'll admit it still happens to me on a regular basis. :shame: Perhaps if there was a way to lock or unlock all the bars at once that could be placed safely away from the bars themselves, like at the bottom where the vehicle, mail and abilities buttons are. Just a thought...

TR-Karak

Post#14 » 17 Apr, 2018 5:20 pm

Just want to say thank you to everyone so far for the ideas and suggestions and if you can, please do keep them coming!

As is notes are being taken about all of this, and we will be working towards trying to refine the GUI and the UI based on these suggestions so that things can be more pleasant/less painful when trying to enjoy the game. :)

Societal

Early Access

Post#15 » 02 May, 2018 5:07 am

Please make it so there is a way to search or at least sort the Tracking ability results. Trying to find a specific mission NPC in a major city is too clunky at the moment. Also, it would be amazing if the Inquire menu worked to search for NPCs in other zones when you only know their name, not where they exist in the world. If it weren't for old patch notes introducing where such and such NPC was added to the game I wouldn't be able to find some of them at all.

Orlander

Early Access

Post#16 » 18 May, 2018 10:23 am

Hi !
Old returning player here. One problem I have is that when I enlarge the minimap, the mail popup warning is partially behind the minimap.

I have an ultrawide screen so I could maybe be related to this.

Also, I don't know if it is related to the UI, but it is sometimes difficult to summon a vehicle : double clicking on the vehicle window seems to do nothing. I checked my latency and it is somewhere between 150 and 250 ms so it shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, it may be usefull to have a popup message onscreen for important notifications.